Friday, May 7, 2010

Food fun

Both of my kiddos LOVE to be in the kitchen, whether I want them there or not!  We try to do some fun food projects on occasion so that when I'm cooking dinner or something where I don't need little helpers they are more willing to wait knowing they'll have their turn later.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.  


Lunch Meat Stackers
One of my daughter's favorite "crafts" is to make her own "lunchable."  She likes the little, silver dollar sized lunch meat that comes in the pre-packaged lunch kits, but they tend to add up.  I don't let her have them at home, and they are just a rare treat for preschool.  I found if I let her have mini cookie cutters (about the size of a cracker) and some lunch meat, she cuts out her own shapes and stacks them on crackers.  BIG HIT!  Plus, depending on the cookie cutter shapes you can find, and easy way to add lunch to a theme day (heart for valentines, fish for under the sea theme...)  


FYI - I'm planning on some theme day ideas to do with the kids over summer so check back!


Marshmallow Lollipops:
Basically this is just fondue.  You can do this for a kid's party or just for an afternoon snack.  Just beware  that the chocolate can get pretty hot, and if you have a kid that tends to be a little more accident prone, having a bowl of cold water near by might not be a bad idea.  


I take jumbo marshmallows, using a small knife cut a little X in the bottom and stick a pretzel stick in to make "lollipops."  In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips (heat about 20-30 seconds, stir and repeat as needed) or melt using a double boiler or fondue pot if you have one.


I then take one of those cafeteria style lunch plates that are divided up or you can just use little bowls to set up the "stations."  In one section, I put the lollipops, in the other sections add toppers such as sprinkles, sanding sugar, nuts, crushed up graham crackers or oreo cookies.  I them let them get going - dip in chocolate and then toppers.  For a little healthier, you can sub out 1 inch thick banana slices, strawberries,  for the marshmallows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment